Summary of Terms of Reference
The Council provides Fairhaven with direct resident representation concerning issues, which impact upon the residents. Specific functions of the Council include:
- To inform and educate families
- To share ideas for the purpose of problem solving
- To maintain two-way communication between families, residents and the home
- To advocate on behalf of all residents and families
- To provide mutual support for family and friends of residents
- A friend or relative of someone living in Fairhaven may become a voting member
- Family representatives who miss three consecutive regular meetings shall have a discussion with a member of the executive before resuming with remaining meetings
- A quorum shall be a minimum of 10 members including executive
- Relatives and friends of a deceased resident may be invited to participate on Working Groups
- Residents of Fairhaven are able to attend Family Council meetings as Ex-Officio members
- Staff with Family as Residents are invited to attend as Ex-Officio members
- The Executive Director is able to attend as an Ex-Officio
- A staff member is appointed as a non-voting member to act as the Facilitator for the Council
- Representatives of Resident Advisory Council will be invited to attend as an Ex-Officio member
- Other staff members may attend meetings by invitation of Council
|Ex Officio||Lionel Towns, Executive Director|
All meetings take place in the Fairhaven Great Room on the third Wednesday of the month, starting at 2:00 pm.
Student Bursary for Volunteerism
This bursary is available to recent graduates and students who are now in their final year of high school each year, are enrolled in a Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board or Peterborough Victoria Northumberland and Clarington Catholic School Board secondary school and who have made lasting and meaningful contributions to the volunteer activities at Fairhaven. Bursaries of $250 (maximum of two) will be awarded to each of the successful applicants.
Students, who are considered eligible shall be pursuing post-secondary school studies at a recognized post-secondary educational program, have good character, and community service involvement. The final decision as to the awarding of the bursaries shall be that of the selection committee made up of individuals from the administration, employees of Fairhaven and the Resident and Family Councils.
Visit Student Bursary for the application form and more information about this program.
Every three months, new residents and their families are invited to a special afternoon welcome tea. This is a great opportunity for Council members to share information about the Home with those who are just settling in. The management team is also present to introduce themselves and answer specific questions in a relaxed and personal setting.